Saturday, May 8, 2010

Introducing "The Boss"




Today we got out first rooster. His name is Bruce, named for "The Boss." He is a Speckled Sussex and my husband is from Sussex County, NJ so that put him in mind of Bruce Springsteen. He is adorable. I think he's going to be a sweet rooster at least I hope so. We put off getting a rooster because I've never met a "nice" rooster. I have read a lot though about roosters that are handled a lot as chicks and they become very docile with people. So that's what I'm going to try. I held him all the way home and he snuggled right down and went to sleep, then he woke up to poop :-/ and went back to sleep. When I picked him up for this picture he snuggled down in my hands.

So far so good.
We also got our first ever guinea keets. The are cute, all different colors and I hate to say it but they don't seem very smart. They are much more skiddish that the chicks but hopefully they'll settle in after awhile. They are pretty though at least now. We're hoping they do a job on the tick and bug population around here.

The chicks are growing fast but are not nearly as big as the Orpingtons were at this age. Several of them have their feathers already and are still tiny. The Delawares have names, Della and Stella. Della will let me hold her and she's very curious. Stella doesn't come near. We got these a little older than our 3 day old Orpington and they are not very touchable yet. I don't think I would do that again. I like being able to handle them when they are babies. Okay off to tuck everyone in for the night!!!

No comments: