Monday, May 24, 2010

First fruits!!!




Yaaaa!!! It's just starting. We picked our first squash and zucchini today!!! Hmmm?? How will I prepare them?? I think I will just cut them in chunks toss in olive oil and roast, can't wait. Oh and then at lunch we picked strawberries. Just enough to share and have a little sweet treat. And boy were they sweet. It made me want to plant a whole bed of strawberries. The garden is growing quite nicely. I'm experimenting with some different things this year. I'm trying some of the "red" plastic mulch. It's suppose to make the plants produce better. We decided to plant a few things in the ground as well as our boxes, mostly because we just didn't have enough room in the boxes. So far it's doing well, all except the beans. They obviously are a treat for some insect. I managed to plant squash, tomatoes and cucumbers as plants then start seeds so I will have new plants bearing as the old plants are starting to finish up. I also plan to root some suckers from the tomato plants to have late season tomatoes. I have to watch Vince though he wants to root every one he pulls off!!!!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I'm jealous! Your squash is bigger than mine :)! I have only harvested strawberries and beans so far. There was one sugar smap large enough to harvest and it went straight into my mouth! Yummy.