Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spring Fever in the Garden




The warm weather has just made staying out of the garden impossible. I wanted to try my hand at starting some seeds this year so I got all the stuff and place orders everywhere for seed. As the orders started to arrive I realized I had ordered a lot more than I thought I did but hey they had a coupon!!!! I started some "Red" Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, parsley and couple other things. I watered them with warm water and put the dome on for humidity. Vince installed a grow light over my dryer so they would have light once they sprouted. Well they sprouted nicely and it's been nice and sunny so I've been setting them out in a semi-sunny spot everyday. They are looking good. Yes I even talk to them a little, hey you never know!!!! We put a little fresh compost in the garden to freshen that up for the spring. The compost looks like black gold thanks to the chickens and Vince turning it. I put in a few lettuce, mixed greens, oriental greens, onion, carrots and peas. Some of those have sprouted already too. I have plastic for covering them if it gets too cold at night. I think it's going to be a good year for the garden!!!

No comments: