Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Vegetable Stock

Recently Jenny sent me a recipe for vegetable stock, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's amazing we pay for this stuff when it's so easy to make and for a fraction of the cost. I started with a base of carrots, onions and celery then added a few other things like a leek, some scallions, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, and mushrooms. I sauteed all that in a tablespoon of olive oil for about 10 minutes just to bring out the flavors then added 2 quarts of water, brought it to boil and then let it simmer for about an hour. A little salt, pepper and Taa Daa!!!! Soooo easy and soooo good. After straining it through a colander then again through a very fine strainer I pulled out the carrots to put in Annie and Rory's food later. No reason they shouldn't get some reward after having to smell those wonderful smells all afternoon. I can't wait to use it. I think I'll make the Split peas soup recipe Jenny posted awhile back and maybe cook up some brown rice. Yummy!!!!

No comments: