Friday, December 12, 2008

Fall veggie stew, Yummy :-)


Well, I wasn't quite sure about this one but thought I'd give it a try. My mother-in-law clipped this recipe from our newspaper. It turns out it's definitely a keeper. It was yummy!!!! It is slightly spicy and has a smooth texture, and it has peanut butter. I thought the peanut butter would be strange but it's really interesting. Not overpowering but you can taste it. Here's the recipe:
2 large onions, chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup apple juice
3 cups tomato juice (I used V-8)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 40 oz can of sweet potatoes, cut into chunks or cubes
( I used some I had baked the previous day)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1/2 cup peanut butter

Saute onions in vegetable oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper and garlic powder (or salt) and saute for two more minutes. Add chopped cabbage, saute, covered, for three minutes. Mix in apple and tomato juices, salt, ginger and tomatoes. Add sweet potatoes, and black beans. Simmer for five minutes. Stir in peanut butter and simmer gently over very low heat until ready to serve. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. Add more juice if stew is too thick.

No comments: