Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A new book!!!


I'm so sad :-( I kinda guess I knew with all the recent hype about "organics" that the big industrial giants would eventually just take all that over. But knowing it and "knowing" it makes me sad. I'm reading Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan and it's really a good book in fact I got this one from the library but it's going on my list of books to buy. It is very informative about the sources of our foods. He traces different meals back to their origin, like his organic meal for instance. His chicken which he bought at Whole Foods, (which he names Rosie) apparently lives a life not much different from those raised on a factory farm. During an interview with Gene Kahn, owner of Cascadian Farms, which is owned by General Mills, Kahn makes the statement, "everything eventually morphs into the way the world is." Oh boo, so true and so sad. My favorite part is his adventures at a place called PolyFace Farms. The owner runs things so opposite of the way the big industry says you should. Their website shows video clips of their farming methods. Oh well, I guess I am turning more towards supporting the local farmer instead of the industry giants.

No comments: